Home / Blog
Global Caprolactone Increased From 69.43 K Tons In 2013 To 85.84 K Tons In 2017
Warning: date() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /www/wwwroot/www.globalinforesearch.com/static/themes/default/info_detail.php on line 32
The global production of caprolactone increased from 69.43 k tons in 2013 to 85.84  k tons in 2017, at a CAGR of 5.45%. In 2017, the global caprolactone market is led by Europe. Japan is the second-largest region-wise market. At present, the major manufacturers of caprolactone are concentrated in Europe, USA and Japan. Caprolactone is a specialist business. Only three companies produce the cyclic ester globally: BASF in the USA, Daicel in Japan and Perstorp in the UK. Perstorp is the number one supplier of caprolactone-based products worldwide.Perstorp is the world leader, holding 58.6% sale market share in 2017. The global caprolactone market that was valued at US$ 242 million in 2017 and is estimated to be worth US$ 335 million by the end of 2024, registering growth at an impressive CAGR of 4.72%.

About 60.6 % of the quantity produced is used on site for the production of polymers (polycaprolactones for own use). The remaining 39.4% is sold to customers (downstream users).  ε-Caprolactone is used by downstream users to modify resins and polymers in order to enhance the performance of the end-products. The majority is used for the modification of acrylic resins and polyesters, but it is also used for modification of epoxy resins and polyurethanes. A small quantity of ε-caprolactone (< 4%) is used as reactive diluent and as a solvent (e.g. for vinyl resins).

Caprolactone is a specialty intermediate, serving many different final market segments such as polyurethane elastomers, adhesives and sealants and industrial coatings and many other diverse application areas.

The world's major consumption regions are the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States. Perstorp and Daicel are the world's major downstream customers. ε-Caprolactone is used as their own raw materials for downstream product. Despite the presence of competition problems, due to the global recovery trend is clear, investors are still optimistic about this area. In the future, the market in developed countries will have some growth and the market in developing countries will have a faster growth rate.